Thursday, September 02, 2004

My Mother Wore Combat Boots

My Mom called me from her cell phone at about 11:15, this morning.

"I'm over at the Democratic Headquarters. They don't have any of the 'Veteran for Kerry' buttons or signs. Could you order me some off the internet?"

Mom is a veteran.

She was in the Marines during the Korean War. She gave me a cute stuffed bear a few years ago that has a tee-shirt proclaiming "My Mother Wore Combat Boots".

I don't know if she ever wore combat boots but I do recall a group photo taken during Basic at Parris Island. Each woman was perfectly permed and wearing red lipstick. They wore stockings and smart-looking wool uniforms with peplums. Beneath it all, of course, they wore the requisite foundation garments, including girdles. And sensible heels.

On Parris Island.

Now, those were some tough women!









No comments: