Friday, September 02, 2005

So, anyway.....

For most of my adult life, I have worked in retail and food/beverage services.

I know how much those jobs pay.

So, when I look at the disaster in New Orleans - a city whose economy depends on the thousands upon thousands that support the services, restaurants, bars and hotels - I have to wonder what kind of evacuation plan did not consider the needs of people who do not have cars because they either live near to their jobs or rely on public transportation.

Many other urban economies rely on the labor of restaurant workers and housekeepers. Tourism, business travel and conventions are at the heart of many a U.S. city, including Washington, DC. and New York.

If anything good is to come of this disaster, I hope that some light will be shed upon the working poor that are the foundation of our service-based U.S. economy.





No comments: