Friday, July 06, 2007

Nine Years and Still Moving In

I've been downright sociable lately.

Not only did I actually attend the annual neighborhood progressive dinner last month but I've even joined the neighborhood book club - an entity which seems to have existed for the entire nine years that we've lived here (probably longer!) but which I knew nothing about.

We have lived in this house for nine years, as of this month. It's hard to imagine that it has been that long.

Harder still to believe that there are still boxes in the garage that have not been opened since moving day.

It was a bad moving experience and those of you that know me have heard the story often enough, so I won't bore anyone with the details. Suffice it to say that, after nine years, a lot of my things are still either in those boxes or stolen/missing and I have trouble dealing with finding out which is the case. It's been awfully tough to cope with any of it.

So....I haven't.

It was easy when I worked at B&N. Then, there was finishing up my undergraduate degree to concentrate on. Then, my art career. Now, there's this whole graduate school thing on top of it all, so ignoring the issue hasn't been too difficult to manage.

Still, I've looked for all sorts of excuses to not deal with those boxes: I didn't want to bother the dog....The weather was too hot....Too cold....There might be black widows.....

Well, the dog passed away over a year ago....Autumn is coming up and the weather will be cooler....I can wear boots, gloves and carry bug spray.

As I proceed, I plan to put some things aside (clearly labeled!) for church sales, charity and eBay. And there are probably lots of crafts materials that will find their way into my Etsy shop. The rest will either need space in our home or get stashed in the storage unit. Room will need to be made in both.

It's a daunting project - and one not easily or quickly completed.

But it's time to finally finish that move we began nine years ago -

- and to get to know the neighbors!

2 comments:

knittin gin said...

Yes, I figure we'll finish moving in over the next few years. I knew that basement was a good idea!

JennySlash said...

Ahh.....a basement.

Lucky lady.