While we were in Manteo, last month, TonyP and I spent rather too much time wandering the aisles of antiques and collectibles shops.
One of the items that I came away with was the small "hamper" below which probably once held a child's tea set. I thought it would make a dandy purse:
In order to prevent the purse contents from escaping through the holes in the basket's weave, I decided to pop in a lining. I decided to use the remaining bits of that Chevy motif cotton that I had left over from a couple of other projects:
The lining is really cardboard and manila tag, covered with fabric and touch of batting. The lining was hot-glued into place, rather than stitched in because I remembered that I do actually own a glue gun and I knew where to find it! I even had some glue sticks, which was sort of a pleasant surprise as I'm reasonably certain that I have not used that glue gun in a decade.
This is my second purse refashion project in a month. The first consisted of replacing the cheesy and cracked plastic lining of one of my fave shoulder bags. In this case, the lining was hand-stiched in place. I used a light tan canvas, which makes it a lot easier to see the contents.
(It's a little hard to make out the motifs in the tapestry fabric but they're Egyptische - which is, of course, why the bag has always been one of my faves!)