Friday, June 15, 2007

Some Recent Wardrobe Re-Fashioning



This crocheted shell was my main project for the past week. It's made from Peaches n Cream cotton and the pattern was downloaded from the company website. I had some difficulty with the results I obtained when I followed their gauge: the resulting fabric was too stiff for my liking. So, I fiddled with the hook size and gauge until I found a way to make the pattern drape better. The finished fabric is still a bit too stiff but I think that what it lacks in drape it more than makes up for in its ability to deflect a bladed weapon!
The skirt, of course, is my fave New Look pattern.




These are the rayon shorts that I refashioned from some altogether too billowy pairs of pants. I cut the shorts pattern from the thigh parts of the original garments so there is still plenty of rayon left to play with!




















The little tote was made a few weeks ago from the remains of a fitting muslin that I no longer needed.
The skirt (again, that New Look pattern!) began life as a much fuller skirt in the 1980s. It became cafe curtains during the 90s and now returns to skirt status. I made the skirt last Spring.













My Sewing Corner



This is where I sew!

I have had this old machine since I went off to Uni and I have always preferred to sew with it perched atop my old suitcase. It's just the right height for me to work at when I'm seated on the floor. I work the pedal with my knee.

I have had sewing tables in the past but this remains my preferred method.

The cabinet to the left houses my notions and threads so they are handy when I'm working.

In front of the machine are a couple of the binders that I'm using to get organized.

Skirting Issues

Last Spring (2006) I made up quite a few versions of this skirt pattern (New Look 6843).

Here are two versions in plain cotton prints. The pattern requires so little fabric that I am able to splurge on some of the rather pricier things at the local quilt shop. It's also a very useful pattern for re-using fabrics.

For a recent trip to DC, I packed four of these skirts and some basic tees and felt reasonably well turned-out, despite the oppressive heat and humidity.

This Spring, I am making up a few more skirts from this pattern. Some of them have already been cut out, as in the photo below. This brown/white/turquoise print is one of the versions that I cut out a year ago but haven't gotten around to sewing up!






While I was preparing to take these "before" shots of the linen shirts I want to refashion, I noticed that both fabrics would work well with that skirt fabric! The shirts are massive and there ought to be plenty of linen to work with. These used to be two of my fave linen shirts and the fabric is well broken-in and oh-so-very-soft.

I'm thinking of some sort of camisole or short-sleeved blouse from the white. For the turquoise, I'd like a semi-fitted shirt with 3/4 sleeves but I don't have such a muslin already fitted, so that particular project will have to wait til July.

In addition to finishing the turq/brown skirt, I have about five more abandoned projects in my sewing area! My plan for the rest of June is to get those sorted out and try to finish them.

The "sorting out" portion of the process is being facilitated by a new ring binder system that I've pulled together for projects. Using the project planner downloadable from the Wardrobe Refashion website and a few plastic sleeves, I've finally got a place to organize the projects, make fitting notes and so on!