Thursday, March 27, 2008

Still More Garden-Inspired Ramblings




This morning, I rose quite a bit earlier than usual and was finished with my Morning Prayer/Coffee routine by 9:15!

During my meditation, I was distracted by movement outside the front window. It was an unfamiliar grey kitty, lurking on our front porch and poised to pounce on one of our resident robins. I walked over, jingled the sleigh bells that hang on the door and both cat and robin vanished.



Which leads me to a rather intriquing discovery that TonyP made, when we were switching out the arbors on Saturday.



^ I decided to add a tall japanese fern to this container, for a bit of height.


The jasmine is a favorite nesting spot for robins and, as we were clipping it back, we noted an old nest was still tucked securely among the tangled mass of vines. TonyP was sawing apart the old arbor when something near the old nest caught his eye. He reached into the jasmine and pulled out a cat collar!



Here's the new arbor and freshly-planted containers. I'm also starting a few cuttings from the jasmine. Against the wall, you can see how far along the daylilies are. No spikes yet. >


Evidently, one of the neighborhood felines had been a-hunting robins and become tangled in the vines but the safety collar had come apart, as it was designed to do. When this might have happened - this year, last or the year before - we have no idea.


I'm sorry that I didn't see it happen because I would have loved to have watched a cat climb that arbor!
These pics were taken today, after I spent a few hours playing in the dirt. It was such a lovely, warm day and I couldn't resist!

^ I'm afraid that the pansies that I planted at the feet of S. Francis are a hopeless cause. The deer simply pull them up by the roots! I don't know if the new red hydrangea will far any better but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

2 comments:

JennySlash said...

Yesterday morning, I woke to find that the deer had pulled the pansies out by the roots and ate all of the leaves and buds off of the hydrangea! I've moved the red hydrangea behind the statue and (after a quick trip to Lowe's!) planted a blue/pink hydrangea in its place.

Then, I sprayed everything in the yard with a product that smells like a cross between rotting skunk and bear's piss.

It's supposed to be a deer repellant.

It is - most certainly - a human repellant.

Ginny said...

Heh, heh. Human repellant! I hope it at least works on the deer!