Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Latest Crochet Project




This is my new "Water Lilies" shawl.







I have already made a scarf and pair of mitts, using this yarn and the same stitch pattern. The stitch pattern is comprised of interlocking fans made in double crochet and has long been one of my favourites. Not only does it work up very quickly but it's extremely simple to do. If you can make a Granny Square, you can do this! The only stitches required are: chain stitch, single crochet & double crochet (US).








I was working with an inexpensive yarn that I purchased simply because I liked the colour. As I worked, the variegated patches of greens and blues with ivory fans reminded me of Monet's water lilies. After I crocheted the scarf and mitts, I decided to use the remainder of the yarn to make a shawl to keep my shoulders cozy while I'm studying.








Here is a detail of the stitch pattern.

See how the clusters suggest leaves and lilies?

That's one of the things that I enjoy about crocheting with variegated yarns - they can be used to make really interesting patterns. Of course, if you work entirely in one stitch, the yarn will stripe - just like it does when you knit row upon row. I'm not really a big fan of stripes so I prefer to use those yarns for a more random look.






No comments: