Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bright Idea #2


The rather smallish kitchen window is partially blocked by other parts of the house and admits very little light.
The kitchen counters are anthracite grey and the cabinets hang quite low. To complicate matters, the overhead lighting spotlights the stove-top and sink and makes the counters appear quite bleak and forgotten.
For years, I have wanted to install under-cabinet lighting but just haven't gotten around to it. I had placed a small decorative nightlight in the deepest, darkest corner but it wasn't of much practical use.
So, anyway.......
....A few days ago, I was trying to find a place to store two accent lamps from IKEA. They come in packs of two - a smaller one nestled inside a larger - and I had purchased two pairs. One of the pairs is on the dining room sideboard. The other pair was still looking for a home.
I decided to try putting the smaller lamp near the coffee maker and the larger one in the darkest corner. They have a nice, clean look and add a soft glow right where it's needed.
The energy saver bulbs emit a fairly cool light so I countered that with some warmly hued objects in rattan and terra cotta, as well as a few coloured bottles.
Not only has it made it easier to actually see what's in the kitchen but I think it makes the room look bigger.

No comments: