Monday, March 10, 2008

Sewin'


This blouse is a test of New Look 6598, size 12. The fabric is a Cranston print based on a Mary Englebreit design and was purchased at Walmart, several years ago. Buttons are reclaimed from who-knows-where.


I've had this pattern for some time but hesitated to make it because I have had considerable difficulty fitting bodices and blouses, in the past.


This pattern features front and back darts and there is a narrow tie at the back to control fullness. It's really a very easy blouse to fit.


Being somewhat desperate for a reliable blouse pattern, I decided to make a muslin of it and I chose this fabric because I had purchased acres of the stuff for a quilt backing and never used it. The fabric is 100% cotton, so fairly easy to work with. Being black and an over-all print, alterations/mistakes would be less visible.


As it happens, the size 12 muslin fits me perfectly, as drawn. No alterations were needed but I did widen the blouse a bit near the bottom - to allow a smoother fit over jeans. I also made the side slits an inch longer because I thought the proportions looked better.


The main difficulty with this pattern was the neckline/collar facing. Try as I might, I have been unable to insert it in such a way as to get the thing to lie smoothly. I've tacked the facing down but I will probably need to draft my own facing pattern before I attempt to make this version of the blouse again!


Other than that, however, the blouse was a breeze!

Some Thoughts....


A young person was murdered.


A student.


A young woman - who was a guest in our community - was murdered.


We're a small town. Small enough that random acts of murder still touch each of us.


Small enough that we are able to remember the names of victims.


Small enough that we are able to remember where they've died.