Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Cape Project (Finally!)


One of the reasons that I have been trying so-very-hard to stick to my new schedule has been this particular project, which I finally got around to starting because I signed up at Sew Retro.
When I was 14, I had a cape and skirt sewn from this pattern. I was so nuts about the cape that I continued to wear it after I went off to University.

The fabric for this interpretation was purchased a year ago at G Street Fabrics. I found a very nice designer remnant with just the right hand and drape for the project and the charcoal grey/black promised to work with a range of clothes that I already own.

The pattern was a breeze to sew and it reminded me of all of the reasons that I love to sew from vintage patterns: notches lined up with other notches, the under collar and the collar pieces were not identical (which meant that thecollar folds nicely!), etc..

I had a few problems with the construction but they were largely of my own making! I had forgotten to purchase non-fusible interfacing, prior to beginning the project, and had to scrounge around the corners of my studio to find a piece that was large enough. That cost me a couple of days. The problem today was sewing on the welts. When I went to cut and turn them, I thought that I'd made some horrible miscalculation and that I would have to pick out all of that stitching. I had a cup of coffee and then sat in the sunlight to look the problem over. Fortunately, I can trust my fingers more than I can trust my eyes! It turned out that I had only sewn just a few stiches beyond where I was supposed to and I really only had to clip a couple to make everything lay quite nicely.








I love welts! I don't know why I don't use them more often.













It can be hard to see the corner that I'm cutting into, so I feel the thread to find the corner, mark it with a pin and use my stork scissors.







So, here is the cape - ready for a final steaming and some top stitching!






I'm still not sure about the closure. I have this tab/button option or a rather pretty frog and I haven't been able to decide. The frog is a bit fancier and the tab is a bit more casual.

7 comments:

caseykoester said...

Hi, I saw your post on Sew Retro and I wanted to tell you - I love the cape! You did a great job. If you'd like input, I vote for the tab and button. It accentuates the peter pan collar very well.


ps - my Mom has those stork scissors! I always thought of them as hummingbird scissors, though. :)

Casey

JennySlash said...

Thanks for dropping by! And thanks for the input!

I was all set to attach the frog and tried out the tab, just for the photos. You're right; it does set off the collar, quite well.

Any other suggestions, out there?

sewducky said...

I still love this cape and am going to come over and steal the pattern.

Fantastic work! I love it.

JennySlash said...

Thanks for dropping in!

I really don't know why-on-earth it took me so long to get around to making up this pattern.

It really was a breeze to make. Cutting it out was the hardest part.

golden star said...

This cape is so smart and your work is fab.

Thanks for sharing this.

JennySlash said...

I'm so glad you like it! Thank You!

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

"...it reminded me of all of the reasons that I love to sew from vintage patterns: notches lined up with other notches, the under collar and the collar pieces were not identical (which meant that thecollar folds nicely!), etc.. "

So has there really been a devolution in sewing patterns? I'm only just getting back into garment sewing after a decades long hiatus. And it did seem to me that some of the new patterns I bought seemed kind of "dumbed down" and the instructions didn't seem very good. But it had been so long since I'd sewn that it was hard to be sure.