Friday, May 01, 2009

UNCG


Last weekend, I attended the Spring Conference of the North Carolina Writers' Network, which was held on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG).


It was a very (unseasonably!) warm day and the sky was entirely too blue for me to remain indoors! Instead, I strolled around campus, taking pics of the fine institution which will be granting me my Master's Degree - in a couple of weeks!


The building in this picture is Jackson Library. The statue is of Dr. Charles McIver, who founded what was then Women's College (or "WC").


I had the great good fortune of growing up in Greensboro and used to enjoy visiting the UNCG campus. My first ballet recital was on the stage of Aycock Auditorium - I think that I was about nine years old!


The only undergraduate class that I ever took on the UNCG campus was a life drawing class - probably the best life class that I have ever taken with the best instructor that I have ever had.


Oddly enough, when I was in high school, I never considered applying to UNCG. That was because my father had made it clear that I would have to live at home if I attended any of the colleges or universities in Greensboro. And, since one of the primary reasons for attending college/university is to leave home, I had no interest in going anyplace in Guilford County!


As it happened, I wound up in Chapel Hill.


But that's another story.

No comments: