One of the reasons that I have been trying so-very-hard to stick to my new schedule has been this particular project, which I finally got around to starting because I signed up at Sew Retro.
When I was 14, I had a cape and skirt sewn from this pattern. I was so nuts about the cape that I continued to wear it after I went off to University.
The fabric for this interpretation was purchased a year ago at G Street Fabrics. I found a very nice designer remnant with just the right hand and drape for the project and the charcoal grey/black promised to work with a range of clothes that I already own.
The pattern was a breeze to sew and it reminded me of all of the reasons that I love to sew from vintage patterns: notches lined up with other notches, the under collar and the collar pieces were not identical (which meant that thecollar folds nicely!), etc..
I had a few problems with the construction but they were largely of my own making! I had forgotten to purchase non-fusible interfacing, prior to beginning the project, and had to scrounge around the corners of my studio to find a piece that was large enough. That cost me a couple of days. The problem today was sewing on the welts. When I went to cut and turn them, I thought that I'd made some horrible miscalculation and that I would have to pick out all of that stitching. I had a cup of coffee and then sat in the sunlight to look the problem over. Fortunately, I can trust my fingers more than I can trust my eyes! It turned out that I had only sewn just a few stiches beyond where I was supposed to and I really only had to clip a couple to make everything lay quite nicely.
I love welts! I don't know why I don't use them more often.
It can be hard to see the corner that I'm cutting into, so I feel the thread to find the corner, mark it with a pin and use my stork scissors.
So, here is the cape - ready for a final steaming and some top stitching!
I'm still not sure about the closure. I have this tab/button option or a rather pretty frog and I haven't been able to decide. The frog is a bit fancier and the tab is a bit more casual.